Apartment buildings have limited space, which can make moving out of an apartment challenging. Many apartment buildings also have stairs, elevators, narrow hallways and awkward angles, which can make moving furniture even more challenging and time consuming. Unfortunately, limited space for moving furniture and other belongings aren’t the only problems with which you can be faced when moving from your apartment. Check out the tips below to make your apartment move easier and more efficient.
Reserve the Elevator
If you’re moving out of your apartment and there are elevators in the building, make sure to reserve the elevator in advance. Plus, if you’re moving to another apartment or condo with elevators, you should reserve one of those, as well. This will ensure your things are moved as efficiently and easily as possible with minimum disturbance to you and/or your neighbours. If your building only has a staircase, simply let the landlord know the day you’ll be moving, ask for clearance and inquire about any special guidelines for moving furniture. Keep in mind, however, that many buildings have set hours for moving, which reduces the possibility of disturbances to you, your movers or your neighbours.
Practice Organized Packing
Packing and stacking boxes can be difficult when you’re moving from a small space. But, organization can actually maximize your space while making your packing process easier. Some steps you could follow for organized packing, include:
- Designating a room or some floor space for storing packed boxes. Remember that, depending on their size, boxes can also be stacked on tabletops, dressers, shelves or even underneath tables or desks.
- Taking inventory and creating a list of your items.
- Using a checklist of packing-related tasks and marking them off as you complete them.
- Marking items with “keep,” “storage,” “throw away” or “donate” stickers and/or labels.
- Packing non-essential items first, particularly things you don’t use daily.
- Labelling your boxes by writing the contents of each box on the outside and identifying the room where that box should be placed. Store your boxes in groups according to their room destination.
- Removing the items with donate and/or throw away stickers or labels first, then calling your movers to move your “storage” items to a storage space (if necessary).
- Starting early and packing one room or one section of your apartment at a time.
- Cleaning as you go and leaving enough space for you or your movers to maneuver your belongings.
- Using up as many of your food items as possible, especially perishables, as well as removing old or expired containers of food. Remember that it’s not necessary or always safe to pack food.
If organizing and packing is too much for you, then hire the best apartment movers Edmonton has to offer, like Pro Service Moving. They will come into your home, organize all of your things (under your supervision), pack and move or find storage for your stuff. Plus, they’ll make the moving process quicker and easier.
Plan a Walkthrough with the Landlord
Schedule a walkthrough with your landlord before you move. This will ensure your apartment is in acceptable condition and serve as the final item on your moving checklist. If your apartment is in good condition, your deposit will be returned. Returned deposit money can help you pay for your movers or any other moving expenses. Once your walkthrough is finished, return your keys and finish the moving process.
Getting ready to move from your apartment? Give us a call and ensure your move is streamlined and stress-free.